The workshop is a forum to support and promote rural computing research and to reflect on the current state of our field. We will bring established and emerging scholars who have experience in their respective fields to speak to us about challenges and opportunities in establishing rural research agendas. Participants will introduce their research in brief presentations with ample time for collective reflection. The networking and connection opportunities the workshop provides will help build a community of rural computing scholars.
Activities & Schedule
Our tentative workshop schedule is as follows:
- 8:15-8:45am – Arrival
- 8:45-9am – Opening of the workshop by the organizers and establishing some common ground for the workshop space.
- 9am – Presentations (7 mins total, recommended 4 mins for presentation and 3 mins for Q&A). The content of presentations should include: introduction of self and research topic, some key takeaways and/or highlights from your position paper or ongoing research.
- 10:15am – Coffee break
- 10:45am – Break out into small groups to discuss commonalities and interests between participants, identify questions, problems, and provocations for rural computing research
- 11:30am – Report-back and compilation of questions, problems, commonalities
- 12pm – Head to lunch locally in small groups based on interests
- 1:30pm – Presentation from Ethan Schoolman, Assistant Professor in the Department of Human Ecology, School of Environmental and Biological Sciences, at Rutgers University. Following his presentation will be a conversation between Ethan and Norman with an open Q&A.
- 2:45pm – Group conversation about what resources or information people feel like they are missing from their work in rural areas. What barriers do we face? Individually? Collectively?
- 3:30pm – Solo work on an abstract for a special issue proposal and coffee break
- 4pm – Pair and Share abstracts, discuss research directions
- 4:30pm – Group conversation about next steps, developing tasks and task assignment.
- 5pm – Break
- 6:30pm – Dinner together (optional)